Smartphone ownership within the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among gay, bisexual, along with other males that have intercourse with guys (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be utilized among MSM to meet up with partners that are sexual. Increased use of smart phones combined with common usage of apps to get intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to review the relationships between app usage and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young MSM that are black in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who utilized apps reported their most frequently used apps as Jack’d (69.8%) followed closely by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals used on average 8.2 apps that are different invested on average 2.1 hours regarding the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Moreover, over one fourth of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of these app-met partners. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Use
Intimate risk among software making use of MSM ended up being examined using a sample of 174 app-using MSM in nyc. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app usage and investigated the partnership between these facets and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) used apps when feeling unfortunate, whenever alcohol that is using51.1%) as soon as making use of any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been more prone to participate in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been getting used when utilizing any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps show their prospective effectiveness among scientists and medical care providers wanting to reduce the threat of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 MSM that is app-using in, 63.9% reported willingness to utilize apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV evaluation. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention ended up being higher those types of reporting present binge consuming and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to provide HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health issues substance usage, intimate partner physical violence, and sexual danger taking. App-based sexual wellness interventions focusing on MSM must be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Utilize Will Continue To Increase in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac best site for mexican brides The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health problems for gay and bisexual guys: Implications for new guidelines in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Health. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, as well as other men who possess intercourse with guys: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. overview of risk behaviors for HIV illness by males who’ve intercourse with guys through geosocial phone that is networking. Journal associated with Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking software use among young black colored males who possess intercourse with guys: A multi-city cross-sectional survey in the southern united states of america. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless rectal intercourse among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males who possess intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of mobile apps for HIV prevention among males who’ve sex with males in London: Web-based study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. social media marketing Interventions to market HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Online Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more info, contact Dustin Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org
This work had been sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The middle for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general general general public health problems linked to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug Use and HIV analysis NYU university of Global Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor ny , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL